19.10.09

Ants in my pants… quite literally.

As a matter of principle in southeast Asia, as a westerner you learn that one must keep all things edible, sweet or having scent, in the refrigerator or the ant colony will descend on your house like an untamable plague. Having lived over here before I have become quite savvy about this and keep all my lotions and potions out of reach. Today I devolved deep into my unpacked bag (I’m still in a hotel at the moment and it seemed counterproductive to unpack everything) for a shirt. A particular shirt – our new freedom 5k shirt. I hadn’t gotten a chance to wear it yet in my hast to move, so I thought I’d try it on. Well I headed out the door in a hurry to work and as I sat waiting for my ride I started to itch… like I was wearing a particularly scratchy wool. I thought that was a bit odd but put it down to the new shirt which is a new brand than last year. As the morning wore on it only seemed to get worse… some time after that was when I noticed miniscule ants all over my body and they were biting little suckers. This is how my day started. Fortunately it ended better than it started. Today I finished a report I had been working on for a couple of day, a six month review of one of the school projects we have going on. Then in the afternoon we brought three young sisters, 4, 6, and 10, to be with us at the office. These girls live in one of the slums in Pattaya. Their mother is gone most of the day and their father, a violent drunk, these girls are left to their one devices much of the time. We were able to feed them and love them for a bit while they helped us paint the upstairs room we plan to use as a craft room for kids at t office. Kids are amazing how they can be kids in any situation. This was a much better way to finish the day than it started.

No comments:

Post a Comment