25.10.09

Sense of a Culture



I thought this week rather than write about my issues with loo role, I’d write about my experiences interacting with the culture here in Thailand. I am constantly confronted with the delicacy of Thai culture both in work and play here in Pattaya and out among the many villages that Openaid works with.
Thai culture is a complex set of unspoken social norms and cultural rules, dictated by centuries of cultural history. Thai people are the quintessential model of harmony and peace. Even their regular discontent and military overthrows are done in a spirit of quiet discontent and managed without bloodshed or even an appearance of disrespect. This at first seems like a pleasant and enjoyable working environment to be surrounded with. The realities require finding a delicate balance of working with people and figuring out how not to offend them because of cultural differences.
Coming from a western work ethic and an environment where things that need to be said are said this is a tough one. In the US when you work with someone it’s expected that the hard questions will eventually be asked, that its acceptable to push to understand and if you don’t agree with something you would normally say so. Granted we all have our limit of saying what we think is appropriate, but here in Thailand, I am learning, there is a fine line of saying too much. That line lies right around giving your opinion on just about anything that has to do with money, family structure, and just about anything deemed unpleasant to discuss. This becomes an absolutely huge challenge when trying to structure an organization with western leadership and Thai staff, or when going into a school to teach girls about the dangers of the sex industry. It becomes even more challenging when you sit with a family in a small village and attempt to determine their incomes, need and your ability to report on project work. As I continue to work more and more closely with Thai people I am learning that it is a constant battle to obtain the right kind of information and enough of it. And quite rightly, it is a very hard thing to ask of our Thai staff to intrude upon cultural law.
Sometimes I feel like all I have learned in 3 weeks here is just how much I have to learn about Thailand, and that it will never all fit in my head. I suppose that chipping away at it little by little and maintaining a sense of cultural sensitivity will be the key to not losing all respect. Fingers crossed!
I have attached a few pictures of the office today so you can all see what it’s like :)

No comments:

Post a Comment