10.10.09

A new day a new story

So seems to be each day in my short time in Thailand. Today is Saturday, a brilliant excuse for being lazy. I did do two things today of substance so it wasn’t a total loss… laundry and the purchase of a new pair of shoes, anyone who knows me in the slightest won’t be surprised in the least at the later, but more to come on that. I woke up early, attempted to sleep in after receiving a text message at 7 in the morning from my boss (who I’m now convinced never sleeps!!! Not kidding!!), but failed. So I watch a movie in bed, sorted laundry and dropped it off to be cleaned before I head up to the north next week. I’m still not sure how exactly I’m going to fit all my cloths back into my suitcase… So then had a coffee meeting with my boss and just talked about the week, how we were feeling about things so far. Good meeting. Well I was going to be adventurous this afternoon and go to the beach for a bit of a change, that never happened though as got sucked into a really cheesy movie, read my book, wrote some emails and then realized it was 6 o’clock. So not exactly to most productive day but my boss and his wife called to see if I wanted to go to the market later that night. Sounded great! I never pass up a chance to go shopping, really! Especially not at a Thai market, they’re brilliant! Thai markets are a fantastic! You can find just about anything you might need or want and a bunch of stuff you didn’t even know exist or thought only came in a happy meal. No joke there are some stellar finds, especially if your looking to go to a fancy dress party in the near future!
Well shortly after buying a pair of said shoes (with cherries on them) and milling around the market with Rattana and Kid (two ladies I work with) the sky opened up and decided dump an ocean’s worth of water on our heads. Ok so a little rain nothing I haven’t seen in Seattle, at least it’s warm here right. Well I left out the part about the fact that to beat the traffic we’d all gone on motorsi (motorcycles) to the market. Yes you heard right, the eminent truth that we were going to have to ride home in the rain. Ok so not that big of a deal until you understand the gravity of the little rain I’m talking about. In a matter of 5 minutes, while we sat hoping it would stop the street became a flooded mass of humanity. Cars, motorcycles, a man with no legs trying to cross the road in a wheelchair, stray dogs, all a wet mess. Needless to say, it was a great night and we all made it home safe, though considerably damp. I’m not sitting comfortably dry in my hotel room and enjoying the night sky light up with lightning. Asia during the rainy season brings a lot of smiles to my face I have to admit.

Not to sound petty, but we all get annoyed by the little things in life… familiar or not. I am currently very annoyed by the toilet paper role in my hotel room bathroom, which has the prerogative to continually fall out of its holder, consequently falling on the ground and getting wet as there is always water on the floor from the shower. SO Annoying!

No comments:

Post a Comment